be sure to check out Joan's latest on her website:

be sure to check out Joan's latest on her website: http://www.joanhilty.net/ (usually she updates her blog every Sunday evening but she can and will surprise you) **Special Note: all of Joan's archives are now up--almost ten years of 'bitter girl.' As Joan says, go wild!**

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Everything but the Head




Have you ever wondered what a manatee's head would look like if it were decomposing in the ocean for some time? Well, wonder no more--here it is. This was up in Juno, south of the beach project, taken on my way back. On my way up, I saw two people, a guy and a girl, from the manatee place trying to drag the bloated carcass from the surf. I did not get a picture of them because they were Marine Biologists and did not want my suspect lay self hanging around while they did their Important Scientific Necrospy on the departed manatee. I knew something about the corpse didn't look quite correct, but it wasn't until I saw the head rolling around in the waves that I put two and two together.


Anyway, Tuesday and Wednesday were both beautiful beach days and I got lots of sun and exercise. I was notified on the contest--no deal, in a big way. I also heard back from the census people--I start the end of April. I also e-mailed FAU to see about getting certified to teach English and Economics in the state of Florida.


On my return, I saw the ice crystal refraction in the sky that you can see in the second picture. It migrated from cirrus stratus cloud to cloud, farther and farther towards the horizon, as the afternoon went on. I saw this last year, about this time in the spring. What struck me this time was that no one other than me noticed it--even when I took repeated pictures, not one person would even glance up from what he or she was doing to see what the fuss was all about. At the main beach, two young girls were lying reading books, pointed away from the phenomenon. I paused to ask them what they were reading and further inquired if either wanted to see something pretty, because I wanted at least one other person to see this. Both told me no, so I didn't share it with them. Moral of the story: There's just so much to miss if you're not attentive.

No comments:

Post a Comment